This no-cook method of making oatmeal is fabulous. Instead of cooking your oats with liquid on the stove or in the microwave, you mix rolled (old-fashioned) oats with the liquid and other mix-ins, and let it rest in the fridge overnight. You can try different additions to make it any sort of delicious you prefer. Here is a basic recipe to get you started.
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 0-2 tablespoons honey
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating.
- Sugar Free: Drop the sweetener, and add 1/2 mashed ripe banana.
- Make it vegan: Use plant-based milk, plant-based yogurt, and maple syrup for sweetener.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free oats.